Tuesday 7 July 2015

Painting Number 8

Hi all,
I can't believe it is 8 weeks already since I started this challenge. I was hoping that by this time I would be seeing a real improvement in my efforts, but I'm afraid a breakthrough hasn't happened yet.

Here is painting number 8
The only thing good I can say about this painting is that it sort of shows you what I'm aiming for even though the execution is weak.
Score 14 out of 100

Bad bits
Some of the branches are non convincing.
The ferns at the front are way to small.
There aren't enough berries.
It lacks a focal point.

Good bits
The darker leaves in the background are quite convincing and the berries pop out nicely.

I think the time has come now to step it up a gear and try do do something decent. To that end I have chosen a decent subject that we can all relate to and I've even done a preliminary sketch to help me with the shading.

Here is the drawing.


I really enjoyed doing this drawing not least because of the medium I chose. I did it with water soluble pencils, which are a joy to use. If you haven't tried them, please have a go and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You do the shading as you would with a normal pencil, then wet it with a damp brush and you can see the magic happen before your very eyes.

Now all I've got to do is paint one like it and I will show you the results in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment