Thursday 16 July 2015

Painting Number 9

Hi all,
I managed to finish another painting, this time the subject was a daffodil. I think it turned out okay but it wasn't very exciting either in the execution or the finished image.
Perhaps I'm being a bit hard myself because it isn't that bad. In fact, I'm having a job to find something bad to say about it.
Score 15 out of 100
My review
Bad bits
The flower head looks slightly out of focus.
The composition of the leaves is wrong, the bent one on the left should be in the middle so that the bent shape could be fully seen.
Good Bits
It is a pleasant enough image and would probable make a good book marker. However, seeing as I use a kindle to read my books it will have to go in the folder with the rest of the unframables.

The one thing that I did learn from the exercise was how valuable it is to do a drawing of the subject first. I used to think that doing a drawing first was a waste of time but it really isn't. Not only does it give me a chance to work out the tones, it also gives me the opportunity to familiarize myself with the subject.

The other thing I realised was that I like drawing with water soluble pencils. In fact, I liked it so much I sent off for some Derwent Inktense Pencils to see if they worked the same, but would provide me with a bit of colour. I know that you can get water soluble watercolour pencils but they look a bit washed out to me. I don't want my paintings to look like a kids colouring book.

Anyway, I'm going to do a daffodil with my new pencils and I'll show you it in my next post



No comments:

Post a Comment